Recipe by the Waypoint Culinary Team
Photography by Brian Freer and Alexis Kikoen
Cool off this spring with a parfait composed of tangy fruit and decadent cream. Topped off with a crunchy ginger cookie, this refreshing concoction hits the spot for those with a serious sweet tooth.
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
- 1.5 pound rhubarb, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1.5 cup honey
- 1 each orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, chopped fine
- 1/2 each vanilla bean, split
- Pinch kosher salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, top removed and quartered
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 fluid ounce citrus vodka (optional)
- To make the fool, put the rhubarb, honey, orange zest and juice, candied ginger, vanilla bean, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir to combine, then cover and cook, stirring every few minutes, for 10 minutes, until the mixture has come to
a boil and the rhubarb has softened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then remove the vanilla bean. Transfer the compote to a bowl, and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes, until very cold.
- While compote is cooling marinate Strawberries with citrus vodka and sugar
- Whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of the compote to garnish the dessert, then fold the remaining compote into the whipped cream.
- Spoon the fool into six 1/2-cup glasses or dishes and chill for 1 hour before serving topped with the remaining compote and marinated strawberries.
- Serve with ginger cookie.