Sizzling Flank Steak
Here is a heart-friendly option for the everyday meatlover.
Write a review
- 1 pound flank steak, silver skin and all visible fat discarded
- Cooking spray
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled gingerroot (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow glass baking dish, stir together all the marinade ingredients. Add the beef, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- • Lightly spray the grill rack or broiler pan and rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill on medium high or preheat the broiler.
- • Drain the beef, reserving the marinade. Grill the beef or broil about 4 inches from the heat for about 5 minutes on each side for medium, or to the desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand for about 5 minutes. Cut the beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices and arrange on a platter.
- • Meanwhile, strain the marinade into a small saucepan, discarding the solids. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Pour the desired amount of sauce over the beef, discarding any extra. Garnish with the cilantro.
The Health Journal http://www.thehealthjournals.com/