Recipe by Prime46Forty
Photography by Brian Freer
Enjoy this unique take on a grilled asparagus salad with the added creaminess of a poached egg and the savory addition of anchovy crumbs.
- 2 pounds pencil thin asparagus, stems removed
- 2 Meyer lemons, zest
- 4 tablespoon extras virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 2 ounces pea shoots
- 2 ounces Parmesan Reggiano, shaved
- 2 Calabrian chili’s,
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 anchovy filet, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill on high heat. Combine asparagus, zest and juice of 1 Meyer lemon and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season asparagus lightly with salt and pepper and allow to marinate while the grill heats.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a simmer, add vinegar and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Carefully crack eggs into a large ramekin,
1 at a time, and drop into simmering water. Cook until desired doneness, about 90 seconds for a soft yolk, and remove to a plate with
a slotted spoon, season lightly with salt and pepper, reserve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovy and saute, stirring constantly, until garlic turns golden and anchovy melts, about 2 minutes. Add bread crumbs and stir until toasted,
about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat
- Grill asparagus until tender and lightly charred, turning once, about 2 minutes. Divide onto 4 plates. Top each plate of asparagus with a poached egg. Divide the pea shoots, Parmesan and chili’s onto each plate. Drizzle each plate with the remaining olive oil and Meyer lemon zest and juice. Sprinkle the anchovy crumbs over each plate to garnish.