Who doesn’t love a healthy twist on a taste bud favorite? All the flavors of a traditional eggplant Parmesan without the unnecessary additions.
Write a review
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup of grated fresh low fat Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups Italian tomato sauce
- 1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
- • Preheat oven to 425°F.
- • Wash and slice eggplant into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices. Leave skin on for best nutrient capture.
- • Lightly dust with all-purpose flour.
- • Submerge in a mixture of egg substitute and skim milk.
- • Combine seasoned Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Apply bread crumb mixture to eggplant pieces.
- • Place on flat large cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with olive oil.
- • Lightly spray olive oil on tops of all pieces laid out on the cookie sheet.
- • Bake until outside is crisp and inside is tender (About 20 minutes, flipping them over after the first 10 minutes).
- • When initial baking is complete, separate the larger slices from the smaller slices as the larger ones serve as the base when stacking.
- • Place large slices back on baking pan and cover with Italian sauce and lightly apply fat free mozzarella cheese.
- • Stack the next largest slice and repeat the process (Usually stacked 3-4 layers high).
- • On the top slice add ample sauce and fat free cheese. Bake until cheese begins to bubble and brown slightly.
- Jeffrey A. Hartenberg, RCP, MBA Administrative Director, Bon Secours Hampton Roads Heart and Vascular Institute
The Health Journal: Fitness, Nutrition, Wellness, Tips & Advice http://www.thehealthjournals.com/