Have Salad, Will Travel
Summertime can be a fast-paced time of running here and there. For those who want to continue to eat healthy, now is a great time to enjoy summer’s bounty by learning how to layer the good stuff and take it with you on the road.
- Mason jars or large screw-top glass jars
- Knife & chopping board
- Salad greens
- Chopped veggies
- Grains of choice (quinoa, couscous, etc.)
- Shredded or cubed cheese
- Dressing of choice
In order to keep items crisp, layer in this order:
Layer 1: Your favorite dressing
Layer 2: Rice, pasta, quinoa or couscous
Layer 3: Tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, celery and peppers
Layer 4: Carrots, zucchini, beans, lentils, peas, corn and broccoli
Layer 5: Boiled eggs and cheese of choice
Layer 6: Nuts and greens, such as lettuce, spinach or arugula
- Chop all ingredients.
- Place ingredients in the jar according to layer chart above.
- Screw lid on tightly.
- Store in cool area until ready to eat.
- To serve, either flip the jar upside down or empty contents into a bowl and mix ingredients together.