- 10 whole star anise
- 24 oz. of cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- ⅔ cup orange juice, preferably fresh-squeezed
- Place star anise in cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with a piece of kitchen string.
- Combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest and juice in a medium saucepan.
- Add the star anise bundle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove star anise before serving. Serve warm or chilled.
MAKE AHEAD: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
TIP: Look for the star-shaped anise pods in the bulk-spice sections of natural-foods stores, in Asian markets or online at penzeys.com.