AVOCADO ALFREDO ZUCCHINI NOODLES
“Zoodles” or zucchini noodles, are a fresh and lower carbohydrate alternative to pasta noodles. This savory recipe pairs them with a creamy, dairy-free avocado Alfredo sauce for a healthy meal for all ages.
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred, divided use)
- 15-20 peeled, raw, medium shrimp (rinsed, patted dry)
- 2 to 3 medium to large unpeeled zucchini, ends trimmed
- 1 medium avocado (peeled, pitted, cut)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the shrimp for about 4 minutes, or until pink on the outside, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. Cover to keep warm. Wipe the skillet with paper towels.
- Put the zucchini on a cutting board. Using a spiralizer, julienne peeler or mandoline, make zoodles from the zucchini.
- In the same skillet, still over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Put the noodles in the skillet.
- In a food processor, process the avocado, basil, lemon juice, and garlic until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir the sauce into the zoodles. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the zoodles are tender and the sauce is heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in the shrimp. Cook for 1 minute.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association