Creamy, thick, with avocado and rich with lots of garlic flavor and a hint of lemon, this dish is a great Vegan alternative for a Valentine’s dinner for two.
- 9 ounces (255 grams) uncooked pasta
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon zest, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. For a lighter option, serve the avocado sauce with zucchini noodles.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince. Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado, and 1 tablespoon water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add all of the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
- Top with pepper, lemon zest, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
- Because avocados oxidize quickly after you slice them, this sauce is best served immediately.
- Make it grain-free: Serve this avocado sauce with spiralized or julienned zucchini or on a bed of spaghetti squash.